Home Sweet Hostel

I always assume that going to a small university means I know who everyone is. Even if I don’t know certain peers personally or have had conversations with them, social media and word of mouth always seem to make many of them known to me. Although I have only been here for five days, this experience has completely altered my perspective.


I have always believed that some of the best people come at the most unexpected times. Brianna is one of these people. I thought I knew my class quite well, however, she was never someone I had crossed paths with, and I do not think I would have if we were not studying abroad in the same program.

 

Brianna is, of course, taller than me (as everyone is), and fashions a medium-length, layered brunette hairstyle. Her eyes are perhaps her most defining feature, a fierce light green that emanates kindness and warmth. She can be recognized by her blue flare jeans, platform black converse, and perfectly curated makeup that lays against her clear, slightly tan, skin.


About a month ago, Brianna and I both received an email stating that due to issues of other students not being able to move out in time for our arrival, we would have to stay in a temporary living arrangement for the first few nights to allot adequate time for our rooms to be prepared. Although a bit flustered about the news, as it was already hard enough coming to an unfamiliar country, we did not think it would be so bad: A quiet, private hotel could be a nice reset for our jet-lagged selves before having to engage in excessive social interaction with new flatmates, let alone other peers in our program. However, to our surprise, this was no ordinary hotel.


We were going to be staying in our first-ever hostel.


Now, neither of us had ever been to a hostel before, therefore how could we possibly know what to expect? We were completely dumbfounded upon arrival. We slid in the keycard and were faced with light grey bunk beds and a bathroom so tiny, it actually felt smaller than the one on the airplane. No refrigerator or towels, and hardly any room to fit both of our suitcases and bags. We were underprepared, overwhelmed, and exhausted, to say the least.


We both felt like brats complaining and did not want to appear ungrateful, however, the confusion surrounding a new time zone and the frustration associated with having to live out of a suitcase for days, hindering our abilities to unpack and get comfortable unlike the rest of our peers, made it quite difficult for us to not feel like we were losing our minds. All in all, we were not fans of that living arrangement (however, we later found out that for hostel standards, this one was quite nice).

Our hostel bathroom
Our hostel room

I write this as I am finally moved into my accommodation (this is what they call housing here) for the semester, and in a funny and surprising way, I miss our little hostel. Don’t get me wrong, I am excited to finally be moved into my space for the rest of the semester, and I cannot wait to get to know my flatmates, however, there was something special about the hostel experience, as chaotic and frustrating as it was.


Brianna and I had an immediate mutual bond over being the only two out of our peers that could not move into their permanent housing yet. We joked and laughed, making the best of our situation, and in the process learned a great deal about each other.

Brianna and I at a coffee shop our second day

We talked about both having a parent who’s Greek, our summer birthdays, mutual friends, boys, our majors, and everything in between. That hostel was the catalyst for a new friendship, and for that, I am incredibly grateful.


Our program director, Grace is constantly telling us that the only way to grow as a person, you have to experience a buffer phase in which you feel uncomfortable due to leaving your comfort zone, and honestly, she is so correct. I knew I felt uncomfortable and out of place, yet I tried to remain calm and positive, and with this mindset, the hostel quickly became sort of a comfort to me. The connection Brianna and I established came out of a situation that initially felt abnormal for me, yet we learned to adapt and keep an open mind.


I would not have wanted my first week in Newcastle to go any other way, and I would not have wanted to be stuck in a hostel for four nights with anyone else but Brianna.

Comments

Popular Posts