The Art of People-Watching in Newcastle

Being a naturally observant person, I have always enjoyed people-watching. My favorite thing to do either alone or with friends is to find a stranger to observe and make up their life stories. Hmm maybe he’s a recent divorcee who’s feeling depressed, so he indulges in multiple ciders at the pub, or perhaps he’s simply exhausted and stressed from a long day of work. When you use your imagination, you would be surprised by how creative you can get.

When I sit down at Pret a Manger, I often find myself subtly observing the people around me, and I sometimes like to play my made-up life game in my head. With Newcastle being a city filled with students, the daily activities of many of its citizens include sitting down in a coffee shop studying or doing homework, or rushing off to class as they clutch their tote bags close to their bodies.

As I have previously discussed, there is always this sense of needing to rush in America that I have not found to be strongly present in Europe. I believe that this is what can contribute to the misery that some Americans I have encountered possess. I have experienced this frequently in interactions with individuals with any kind of customer service-related position. Food service is a perfect example of this. I acknowledge the unpleasant working conditions that many of these employees endure, contributing to their attitude as they work, however even in these types of jobs in the U.K., it always feels like these people genuinely enjoy what they are doing and care about the satisfaction of their customers (even if they are faking it).

In going to the same coffee shop every single day, I have made constant interactions with the same employees for a month now, and their overwhelming kindness never fails to make me smile. I have practically memorized at this point what the employees say to customers when they approach the register. The script goes: “Hiya! What can I get you? Are you sitting in or taking away?” “Let me just get your receipt there.”

My daily interactions with the Pret baristas have reinforced the concept of me being someone who LOVES her routines. It brings me comfort to know what to expect. I enjoy that every time I go to get coffee, I know exactly where the shop is, what it looks like inside, what the employees look like, where to scan the QR code on my phone for transactions, and where the best spot to sit is. Sometimes these specific routines and aspects of my living here help to ease my homesickness, and they remind me that new routines have the potential to be developed and enjoyed.

Right in front of Pret is a large green square table and tent where the same men sell produce daily. Grace, the manager of the Loyola Center on Newcastle’s campus always tells us to make sure we’re eating vegetables. Therefore, every single time I pass that stand, Grace’s voice looms in the back of my head, telling me to buy some fresh produce.

One of the best places to people-watch is Quayside Market: an attraction that only takes place every Saturday and Sunday. It is filled with vendors selling fresh food, clothing, and miscellaneous items. The streets are packed with people, resembling the type of crowd Disney World attracts. The food stands and trucks work quickly and efficiently, sending orders out like clockwork. My favorite food I have had there so far comes from the Greek food stand. As soon as I heard an older, white-haired man utter “Oxi” to one of the chefs, I knew the food would be incredible and authentic because he is Greek. They continue taking orders while packing pitas with gyro and other typical fix-ins, topping them off with a heaping pile of crispy French fries. I ate the entire sandwich.

As previously mentioned, there is a massive homeless population in Newcastle. As someone who does not know what it is like to be without shelter, I often wonder what these individuals’ daily routines look like. From my line of sight, it seems like a lot of sleeping early in the morning and at night and attempting to gain money from those passing by during the day. I often notice the same people on the street, having established spots. In pondering about these peoples’ daily routines, I am prompted to think about how mine differs greatly from theirs, and the gratitude I feel towards living the life I do.

Amongst the people I interact with daily, there is one obvious commonality: kindness. Strangers passing by will smile at you, acknowledging your presence, and contributing to a sense of belonging. Sometimes it feels easy to classify myself as an outsider in Newcastle: for one, I’m very obviously not from here, as I have an American accent. Before my arrival (and even still, a month in), I was worried that my obvious American tendencies would impact the way natives treat me. However, my expectations are constantly exceeded, as I frequently find that people are more fascinated with me rather than harshly judgmental of me for not being from England.

Comments

Popular Posts