My Home Across the Pond

If I could describe Newcastle in one word, it would be lively. There is a constant movement, pubs and restaurants are always bustling, and the phrase “shop till you drop” is manifested in the residents daily. Inevitably, this produces a perpetual state of wonder within me. I look at the people and try to imagine what the day's plans entail for them or what they are thinking the very moment I look over at them. I also wonder if they are as enthralled with this city as I am.

Sometimes I think day and night in Newcastle can be defined as separate entities. Sometimes it is hard to believe that earlier that day, men in suits, students trudging their way to uni, and people walking with intention and purpose defined the space. Now, at night, there are entirely new sets of intentions the people passing by possess. Couples swing their arms back and forth as they hold hands, on their way to a dinner reservation. Drunk women in their twenties constricted by tiny dresses and stilettos make their way to the next bar. Echoes of laughter come from groups of friends as they walk and talk, de-stressing from the daytime.

There is not so much a carelessness, but simply an essence of content that Newcastle residents seem to feel and project. As an American, I live in a fast-paced society, always concerned with what the next thing is rather than relishing in the present. Many Americans think they need to tear each other down in order to build themselves up. Impatience is found in everything, and rushing is common practice. Thus, living and studying in Newcastle, and adapting to this culture, I am forced into a calm and slowed-down persona: something that sometimes feels so different that it’s wrong. This is the area in which much of my emotional attachment to Newcastle comes into play.

The way society is paced here feels like the way I wish my own familiar one at home to be. Slowed down, patient, and tame. I admire this city for this exact reason and enjoy exploring this unfamiliar lifestyle.

Before my arrival, I was worried about feeling like the “dumb American” in every interaction I'd have with a British person. I thought that after detecting my American accent when I opened my mouth, they would immediately pass judgment and treat me differently. And sometimes, I do feel like the dumb American here. I’ve had British students ask me if I love Trump and/or guns. One of my flatmates even told me that when she found out an American was moving in, she got scared, thinking I was going to fit the stereotype of overly patriotic, gun-loving, and Trump-obsessed. Yet, I think I and the other Loyola students in my program have enlightened many of the native Brits, changing their perspective by being good ambassadors for the U.S.

Despite these silly encounters, overall, the people here make me feel welcomed and cared for. In any restaurant or establishment, the manners of the staff and employees are impeccable. They are kind and respectful and treat us as if we are natives of Newcastle. These interactions feel genuine, and like a warm embrace. On days when I don’t feel my best, or my homesickness is swallowing me whole, it is these people in these simple interactions that make my day just a little more manageable and brighter.

I have always been someone who LOVES learning. Acquiring knowledge, applying it to other existing knowledge, and being able to share newly obtained information with others brings me fulfillment and joy. During my time abroad, I have found that I am learning the most I have ever learned in my entire life. Although exciting, this is quite overwhelming at times. Yet, I would not have it any other way.

When I get back to the states and people say to me “oh my gosh!! How was England? What did you learn?” my first instinct is not going to be to respond with all of the French and American feminist philosophers I learned about, or what traits the DSM-5 associates with a diagnosis of ADHD. My mind will immediately be drawn to how I learned to be independent in living, ways in which I immersed myself into another culture, how to be a respectful citizen in a new place, the importance of budgeting money, how to travel alone and with a group, how to cope with homesickness, and so much more.

I have learned more about myself than I ever imagined possible.

I haven’t even been here for 2 months yet, and I already feel transformed.

The people I have met within my program have changed my life. In attending a small university, I always assume that even if I don’t know someone personally, chances are I have probably heard of them whether it’s through Instagram, word of mouth, or a mutual friend. Yet, once we all got to the airport and stepped on the plane in January, I realized I had never even seen most of these people before. Yet, we were ALL about to journey the same unique experience together. THAT is what brought us so close together. I genuinely think that some of these people will be lifelong friends, and I do not think we would have crossed paths otherwise if we were not in this together.



When I reflect on this experience in 10 years, I think I will feel incredibly grateful I decided to do this. The valuable lessons, knowledge, and skills I will gain will shape my character, and the memories made will stick with me forever.





Comments

Popular Posts