Small Suburbia vs Colossal City

Glen Rock is the definition of suburbia: a tiny town located in northern New Jersey defined by expensive SUVs, stay-at-home moms in Lululemon yoga pants, lots of greenery, and sheltered kids. Therefore, it couldn't be more different than Newcastle. 

In my small town, I have been surrounded by very similar people. Glen Rock is comprised of white, middle- to upper-class families. Walking around it feels like this, but even more so when I went to high school this became increasingly apparent. As a result, I was not exposed to a wider range of diversity in nationalities and ethnicities, yet in Newcastle, I am. The city is comprised of many international residents, and as a result, this also contributes so an increase in different kinds of businesses and types of cuisines at restaurants.



Additionally, there is a deep history that exists in Newcastle that cannot be found in my hometown. The history of Newcastle dates back almost 2,000 years and is comprised of many land disputes and conflicts. Glen Rock, older than I thought, was founded in 1894, and its history is not nearly as far-reaching or even as well-known as Newcastle’s.

Where I grew up, there has always appeared to be an emphasis on tradition. For instance, the same bar/restaurant has sat in the middle of the minute downtown area for god knows how long. Townies like to sit there on the weekends with their buddies, catching up after a long work week. You are almost guaranteed to run into someone you know there- which is why I like to avoid it.

However, here in a big city like Newcastle, there seems to be a constant push to be innovative. Therefore, fresh-looking restaurants, stores, and pubs seem to be curated to meet the demands of the growing youthful population of the area. Newcastle, like any other area, of course has its long-standing infrastructures that are still in use today (certain pubs for example), yet, this is not what defines the city as it does for Glen Rock.

When comparing Glen Rock to Newcastle the obvious size difference stands out to me. Living in the same small town my entire life, everything is so accessible. My house is about a four-minute drive away from my high school and the downtown area is an even shorter distance. To simply get to school in Newcastle, I have to walk about twenty-five minutes. When I first arrived here, this was quite an adjustment for me (especially also considering I go to a small school where the entire campus is within my line of vision). Although everything in Glen Rock is so close, I feel that I always neglect walking. Newcastle is an incredibly walkable city, and this has allowed me to find such an appreciation and enjoyment for walking. Not only is it more sustainable, but it is quite therapeutic, and it makes me feel energized. These walks have become easier and easier, and I always find something new to look at and appreciate each day.

Due to Glen Rock’s tiny size, you can imagine how easy it is to run into people you know everywhere you go. I can always count on this experience when I come home from Loyola for breaks.

Even when the town is filled to the max with citizens, it still feels empty. After about 11 pm, there is virtually no one around. The very few restaurants that exist have already closed for the evening, and all is quiet. Refreshingly, in Newcastle, no matter what time of day it is, the streets are packed with people. Whether it is 2 pm or 2 am, a significant amount of faces are scattered across the pavement. The liveliness is inspiring, and it makes me feel alive. In Newcastle, I embrace my youth, while feeling all grown up at the same time.

During certain periods of the year in Glen Rock, when vacations are at an all-time high, it looks like a ghost town. Two to three cars will be parked, businesses are empty, and very few people are seen out and about. This is an unfathomable reality for a vast city such as Newcastle.

I pass by perhaps hundreds of people daily here: all people who have diverse purposes, differing final destinations, and lives. Therefore, no one has the time or care to spend time thinking about the other people they pass by. My point with this is that people here (and perhaps in most big cities) appear non-judgmental: everyone simply exists, blissfully unaware, focused on their own lives. At home, because there are so few people to pass by daily, it feels as though everyone is looking at you. So, inevitably, it feels like judgment is being passed, even if this is untruthful in actuality. My friends and family members and I have all been guilty of doing this ourselves. What else are we supposed to look at? Here, I can spend my time nonchalantly people-watching, guessing what the lives of the natives around me look like, yet I will never actually know. I may have my eye on one person but then suddenly, they’re gone, not giving me enough time to make numerous guesses on the kind of person they are and the life they lead.

In Glen Rock and at Loyola, it feels like even if someone does not know you personally, they know a mutual connection to you. “Oh! Kate! Yeah, I know who she is because I had a class with her roommate and also, one of my friends met her freshman year!” These types of interactions are so typical while living in a tiny place. There are ALWAYS mutuals and without even realizing it, people silently judge you based on the knowledge of the person who is connected to the other person.

Although I have my regulars: my friends, my peers in classes, and the baristas at my favorite coffee shop, I cross paths with fresh faces constantly.

Living in Newcastle, there are ALWAYS things to do, places to explore, and people to see. Museums, markets, cocktail bars, restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques, and galleries are among some of the activities residents can indulge in. At home, all we have is the local bagel place, Starbucks, pizza, and CVS. In other words, life there compared to here is bland. You find yourself stuck doing the same things constantly, never veering out of your comfort bubble. There is no sense of adventure…

Although I have mentioned in previous blog posts that I love my routines, even I can get sick of the same repeated things. This is a realization about myself that I have come to accept here, and I am growing to find comfort in being open to new experiences.


Comments

Popular Posts