England: Home of the Best International Cuisine

When talking about the food in my host city, I feel as though I have a unique perspective. I am not in Italy where the obvious food to boast about is pasta, pizza, and gelato, or France where the pastries, macaroons, and crepes are famous. I’m in England: a place known for its international food, sometimes more so than its own creations.

When one thinks of the food in England the first meals that come to mind are probably fish and chips, “the English breakfast,” tea, and scones. Yet, someone unfamiliar with the space may not know how delectable the international cuisine is here.

I was able to experience this myself at a restaurant called Rani: my first real exposure to Indian food…I am convinced this will be one of the most memorable meals of my lifetime.

Upon entering the restaurant, my friends and I immediately felt welcome. The hostess was warm, yet monotone. “Do you have a reservation?” Uh oh, I didn’t even think of that. I told her no and to my relief, she smiled and said we would only have to wait a few minutes.

As we sat down at our table, we immediately opened our menus. I was starving, and I knew that with whatever meal I would be eating, I HAD to get a diet coke with it. I had been looking forward to this all day. chicken tikka masala appears to be the most typical meal eaten by those who are having Indian food for the first time. Yet, it is widely popular amongst the Indian population. It makes me think of my friend Danielle back at home who always raved about this dish. I decided to text her.

“OMG LUCKY! SEND ME PICTURES!”

I smiled, as I had a feeling I was going to thoroughly enjoy this meal.

I ordered chicken tikka masala and garlic naan bread, and of course, my diet coke. When the food came out, I was practically salivating. Our server placed a delicate golden bowl filled with chunks of tender chicken, drenched in a deep red sauce swirled with white in front of me. Next came a plate with HUGE pieces of naan. They looked soft, doughy, and seasoned to perfection. The air smelt of unfamiliar spices, both sweet and savory, nothing was muted. I was in awe of the meal that sat before me. it felt sacred and beautiful.

I scooped out pieces of chicken onto tears of naan and spilled extra sauce over the top before shoveling the food into my mouth. At that moment, the taste could only be described as something I had never witnessed before. It consisted of the most unique blend of flavors of spices. I just kept eating.

The chicken in its beautiful bowl tasted sweet and savory at the same time. Hints of cinnamon and coconut were contrasted with turmeric, cumin, and paprika. It was divine and I felt so fancy eating out of my elegant bowl. The naan was just as soft as it looked. It felt pillowy as it hit the roof of my mouth and the garlic was subtle, yet perfectly pungent.

As we were nearing the end of our delectable meal, a woman approached our table: not our server or the hostess. She asked us how our food was to which I replied “amazing.” She was grinning from ear to ear. I told her this was my first time having Indian food and I really enjoyed my food. It was as if I told her she won the lottery. She was utterly overjoyed, thanking us for coming to dine there. “I have to tell the chef!” she insisted. By the way the chef was described in the menu as having the most extensive experience in authentic Indian dining and particularly in the U.K., you would think he was a celebrity. Yet he is simply a man who enjoys cooking and the impact his food has on others.

The entire staff felt like a family. They made it a point to interact with each table rather than limiting each to one server. I admired this effort. I felt more connected to the experience as a whole and it felt like each individual cared deeply about their customers and their opinions. One of the men that came up to us initiated a conversation about us being American. He could obviously tell by our accents, and he was intrigued. He asked us why we were here and what was most different about the U.S. and the U.K. He talked about his girlfriend from California and how badly he wanted to be there. he felt entirely authentic in the way he wished us well during our time abroad.

Not only did my warm, sweet, and savory chicken make me feel cozy and fulfilled, and as though I was receiving a tender hug, but so did the staff of Rani.

Comments

Popular Posts